Challenge (college assignment): To hone UX, content and interactive strategy best practices, I was given the hypothetical challenge to analyze and redesign the Royal Canin Canada website (as of fall 2014).
Implementing a Solution: To create a solution, I completed several research and development tasks outlined below. You may download PDF copies of each highlighted deliverable to review in more detail.
Part 1 – Research – I conducted primary and secondary research to develop pet owner personas. I then completed a website audit to identify sections that met end-user personas’ needs and areas that fell short. This includes identifying practical static and multimedia content that consistently helps pet owners and other sections that sporadically offer useful information.
Within a team, I also conducted user testing to assess how easily a user could find information about a specific dry food and locate a local store that carried it.
Moving toward a solution, I developed a theme and value proposition for the redesigned site and completed a competitive analysis between Royal Canin and two key competitors’ sites.
Part 2 – Redesign Strategy – My Redesign Content Strategy centred on the following recommendations –
- Shift site to customer-centric focus to serve audience more than profiling Royal Canin.
- Edit the site to optimize opportunities to reinforce Royal Canin’s value proposition, which is to meet the specific needs of each pet’s breed, life-stage and health conditions.
- Streamline the site’s content to increase usability, by removing duplicated, verbose and irrelevant content (that doesn’t serve the customer).
- Correct inaccurate, vague or inconsistent section titles and create clearer user path navigation to help current/prospective customers achieve their goals.
To help manage user expectations and ensure consistent content throughout (even if multiple writers create it), I developed structure and editorial guidelines for three key sections (Nutrients, Testimonials and What’s New). I also worked with a team to collaboratively propose an enhanced UX redesign, including user paths and wireframes with a mobile first approach.
Results: The individual research and content strategy components earned an overall grade of 93% for content and interactive strategy assignments.